Xeriscape and Low Water Landscaping
The term Xeriscape is the product of "water conservation through creative landscaping." West-Wind provides Xeriscaping where requirements exist, or if you would simply like to have a beautiful landscape that has a low water impact.
The following Xeriscape design principles are taken into consideration:
- Design for water conservation- Plants with the same watering needs are grouped together in areas of the garden that best suit their needs. Grading the garden helps direct water to the plants that have the highest water needs.
- Reduction of lawn areas- Where possible; lawns will be replaced with tiered gardens, rock gardens, low water-use shrubs or flowering trees and groundcovers.
- Appropriate selection of plants- Many of the plant materials available at the nursery are native and or low water-use plants that thrive in our climate.
- Wise watering- We understand the needs of low water-use plants in your gardens and irrigate them accordingly.
- Mulch- Barks, wood chips, or stones reduce evaporation from the soil, inhibit weed growth, and minimize soil erosion.